If you are a violinist who wants to take his or her practice level to perfection and at the same time wants to maintain a smooth equation with the neighbors, then a violin mute is something you are looking for. But not just for the sound reducing purpose, violin muteS can be used to create ambient layering during an orchestral piece, or isolation sections of solo repertoire.
Best Violin Mutes in 2021Have you ever checked online the market of violin mutes? It is crazy! But do not worry because we have done the brainstorming job and chosen the best violin mutes available in the market. You just have to go through the list of chosen products here.
Otto MusicaArtino Practice Mute for Violin/Viola
Glaesel GL3834 Violin Ultra Practice Mute
EBoot Rubber 4/4 Violin Practice Mute
Mudder Metal Violin Mute
Super Sensitive Violin Mute
Ultra USA Black Rubber Mute
3 Pack Rubber Violin Practice Mute
Round Turtle Style Mute for Violin and Small Viola
Catrpilr Practice Mute for Violin
Cecilio Rubber Violin Practice Mute
1.OttoMusicaArtino Practice Mute for Violin/Viola
Here we present the only protective practice mute, the Otto MusicaArtino Practice Mute for Violin/Viola. This mute can be used for both violin and viola. As the name suggest, this product will protect the violin bridge from being damaged, thanks to the rubber covering. This mute also retains the sound so that you have the best practicing sessions.
- Perfect for both violin and viola
- Protects the violin bridge from damaging
- Retains sound to a great level
- Some adjustment problem can be faced
2. Glaesel GL3834 Violin Ultra Practice Mute
- Easily adjustable
- Adequate dampening power
- Stays in a place, thanks to the 5 prongs
- Quite affordable
- Some users are not satisfied with the sturdiness
3. EBoot Rubber 4/4 Violin Practice Mute
- Perfect for practice classes
- Quite flexible
- Stays firm on the bridge
- The stinky rubber can be unbearable for some users
4. Mudder Metal Violin Mute
- Lower sound procession
- Durable and sturdy
- Amazing silencer
- Maintains the sound pitch
- Metal mutes can damage the violin bridge
5. Super Sensitive Violin Mute
- Adjustable during playing sessions
- Can mute certain strings selected by the player
- Unbeatable usability for symphony and orchestra
- Does not shift and make noises
- The adjustable feature can confuse the beginner violinists
6. Ultra USA Black Rubber Mute
- Does not damage the bridge
- Prevents sound distortion
- Fits properly on the bridge
- Works better than many metal mutes
- The stiff material can be problematic to put it on the bridge
7. 3 Pack Rubber Violin Practice Mute
- Good quality rubber
- Flexible and durable
- Helps you in maintaining pitch
- Reduces noise greatly
- Some users complain that the cuts and holes are not well placed
8. Round Turtle Style Mute for Violin and Small Viola
- Has better contact with the bridge
- Small yet powerful product
- Easy to use feature
- Provides a balanced sound
- Some users have complained that this product leaves black marks on the bridge
9. Catrpilr Practice Mute for Violin
- Sits on the bridge perfectly
- Reduces player fatigue
- Allows clear line of sight to the fingerboard
- Does not smudge or stain the bridge
- Quite expensive
10. Cecilio Rubber Violin Practice Mute
- Easy to insert and remove
- Amazing muting power
- The light weight feature may not gain the trust of many users
Violin Mute Info Section
Your violin mute will suppress the intensity of the vibration that your violin produces. This small accessory is adorned by composers, as they often use this to utilize their compositions. But if you are a beginner, then this accessory is a must for the late night hushed practice sessions that one day will make you proud.
We have presented the best of the items available in the market place of violin mutes. But ultimately, buying anything depends on the preference of the user. You as a consumer have the liberty to choose anything from the options. But to play safe, we recommend you to keep a few things in mind.
You can check this link to learn more about violins for advanced level students.
You will find plenty of mutes made of plenty of materials. However, the most common materials are rubber or metal. Rubber mutes are largely used by musicians because they are quite affordable, easy to insert and remove, reduces sound efficiently, and the best part is that they do not damage the violin bridges like metal ones do.
Although there are many cons of metal mutes, but they are proved as superior silencer that the rubber mutes. Metal mutes are also durable than rubber mutes. So, you can buy either from these popular options, or can go for other material options like synthetic mutes which are also becoming popular.
The size of the mute is very crucial because you cannot help but considering it. You have to carefully check that your mute matches the size of your violin. Most of the mutes easily fit to 4/4 violins. But it is always advisable to discuss about the size of your instrument with your seller and then opt for the mute.
Mutes are designed to reduce the sound of your violin. However, you should learn to what extent the product you are going for does the job. Also, some quality mutes are available in the market that help you in maintaining the pitch right. These mutes are helpful to your practice sessions as you can get the pitch right. So, know your product well.
Ease of Use
The last thing that you will want is to struggle with you mute every time you have to put it on and off. So choose the mute that allows easy installation and removal. There are plenty of mutes that offer you this comfort. You can also switch to magnetic clamp mutes as you will not like the mute to fall down from your violin.
Color preference is subjective to the users. While some users prefer the classic black mutes on top of their violins’ bridge, others want to flaunt the mute itself so they choose the colorful options. You know your preference like no one else, choose your favorite.
A violin mute is an essential accessory for any violinist. While your performance can get lots of applause, your long practice sessions can annoy your friends, family, or neighbors. This small accessory can help you in practicing in peace, as you can play your violin as long as your heart desires.
We have presented only the best mutes in this list. But our favorite remains the Otto MusicaArtino Practice Mute for Violin/Viola for its amazing protective feature and control over sound. We recommend this mute to any violinist, who wants to take care of the instrument, and also considers the comfort of his or her neighborhood.